We are working very hard to ensure our facilities are open in the safest possible way. We have designed a special framework to meet COVID-19 guidelines.
Our customers play a major part by following the guidelines and measures to make sure that our facilities are as safe as possible for all users and staff while enjoying the amazing benefits of being physically active.
As it was mentioned previously, all sports centres have to operate in a different way.
The changes include:
- For the summer months we will be operating with slightly reduced opening times. Monday – Friday 7 am – 9pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am – 4pm
- Capacity numbers have been be reduced in all areas to conform with social distancing measures
- Fitness Suite, Swimming Pool and Fitness Classes will need to be pre-booked online or on the telephone to be able to effectively manage maximum capacity numbers for staff and visitors safety
- If you do not have your PIN number for online booking, please use our online booking system and ask for password recovery.
- Fitness Suite sessions are now limited to 60 minutes
- Swimming Pool sessions are now limited to 45 minutes. Please come ‘beach ready’ with your costume under your clothes as per current guidance. The changing rooms shall be opened only a few minutes before the session starts and customers must exit the changing rooms 15 minutes after the pool closes to allow cleaning of the area
- Fitness Classes are now limited to one session per member per day. This will be reviewed regularly and amended as soon as we are able to do so
- Admission will only be authorised if a pre-booking has been made. Please swipe your card at the gate to gain access
- All common areas in the centre can only be accessed with a face mask on.
- All activity areas will be closed for 15 or 30 minutes between each bookable session to accommodate an enhanced cleaning regime
- Social distancing rules will need to be followed at all times throughout your visit
- Posters and signage will be displayed in all the facilities
- A sanitiser station and protection screens have been installed at reception
- 2m spacing markings are in place on the floor from outside the entrance and at Reception
- In line with other sports & fitness providers we have adopted cashless only payment methods, this means we will only be accepting card payments. This is to protect our staff & customers
- Changing & showering facilities shall be closed for those participating in non pool based activities, please arrive exercise ready
- Toilets shall remain open for use, disinfectant sprays and wipes shall be provided for customers to wipe down areas touched
- Please only bring essential items with you. Lockers in the main corridor will be available for customer use
- Customers to bring their own water bottles, we will not be able to provide cups
- No towels can be brought in until further notice, please use paper towels provided
- Fitness Classes will be held in different areas, including outside to allow social distancing
- Please clean your own equipment including mats and seating with disinfectant spray or wipes provided
- The sauna will stay closed until there is further guidance available
- The return of different indoor sports will be based on the relevant sport governing body’s guidance
- We are required by current regulations to ensure that all visitors are registered. This will allow for tracking and tracing to be completed if the centre is exposed to an enhanced risk of COVID-19.
These measures will be under continuous review and we may alter the arrangements based on government guidelines and or customer feedback.
Thank you for your support and patience during these challenging times and we really look forward to welcoming you back!
We have prepared a short FAQ to address the most pressing questions you might have. We have also prepared a whole section about re-opening the centre:
1. AS YOU ARE CLOSING, WHAT HAPPENS ABOUT MY MEMBERSHIP?
2. WHY SHOULD I FREEZE INSTEAD OF CANCELLING MY DIRECT DEBIT?
3. AS YOU ARE CLOSED, WHAT HAPPENS ABOUT THE PRE-BOOKED ACTIVITY I HAVE PAID FOR?
4. I’VE BOOKED A PARTY, WHAT CAN I DO?
5. I WANT TO STAY ACTIVE – WHAT CAN I DO?
6. WHEN WILL YOU BE REOPENING?
7. I WAS LOOKING TO JOIN THE GYM, CAN I STILL DO THIS FOR WHEN REOPEN?
COVID-19 – Re-Opening of Chesterton Sports Centre FAQ
8. CAN YOU PASS COVID-19 FROM SWEAT?
9. IS THE GYM ‘DIRTIER’ THAN A SHOP?
10. HOW LONG WILL COVID-19 STAY ON EQUIPMENT FOR?
11. CAN COVID-19 BE TRANSMITTED IN AREAS WITH HOT AND HUMID CLIMATES?
12. DO THE ENCLOSED ENVIRONMENTS OF GYMS AND LEISURE FACILITIES CREATE HIGHER RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION THAN OTHER INDOOR PLACES, SUCH AS CLOTHES SHOPS, BARS OR CINEMAS, AND WHY?
13. IS THERE A HIGHER RISK OF AEROSOL TRANSMISSION IN GYMS AND LEISURE FACILITIES THAN IN OTHER INDOOR ENVIRONMENTS, AND WHY?
14. HOW IS COVID-19 TRANSMITTED?
15. CAN COVID-19 BE TRANSMITTED IN THE WATER OF A SWIMMING POOL AND DOES THIS INCREASE THE RISK OF TRANSMISSION? WHAT IS THE RISK IN SWIMMING POOLS?
16. IS THERE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION IN A STUDIO COMPARED TO THE GYM FLOOR??
17. DO SHARED WATER FOUNTAINS POSE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION?
18. DO CHANGING ROOMS/TOILETS POSE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION?
19. IF A PERSON WEARS A MASKS OR GLOVES IN A GYM OR LEISURE FACILITY WILL IT PROTECT THEM FROM COVID-19?
20. DOES PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (EXERCISE) INCREASE RESILIENCE TO COVID-19, AND HOW?
21. DOES AIR CONDITIONING RAISE THE RISK OF TRANSMITTING COVID-19?
AS YOU ARE CLOSING, WHAT HAPPENS ABOUT MY MEMBERSHIP?
You do not need to do anything about your membership, we will automatically ‘freeze it’ for you.
Direct Debit monthly payers
Your DD payments, including swimming lessons, will be frozen (suspended) with immediate effect and will not recommence until our facilities reopen. We will keep you fully informed of the timings of this.
Annual paying members
If you have paid up-front in full for your membership, we will simply extend the term of it, to reflect the amount of time we are required to be closed. So for example, if we are closed for 6 weeks, we will add 6 weeks onto the end of your original membership expiry date.
WHY SHOULD I FREEZE INSTEAD OF CANCELLING MY DIRECT DEBIT?
If you allow us to freeze instead of cancelling you don’t have to do anything. This will mean you will retain your current DD rate when you return, there will be no re-joining fee & you are exempt from our 28 days cancellation notice which is part of our T&C’s.
Our Swimming Lessons members will still be guaranteed the same day and time lessons they currently have if they decide to keep the Direct Debit frozen.
AS YOU ARE CLOSED, WHAT HAPPENS ABOUT THE PRE-BOOKED ACTIVITY I HAVE PAID FOR?
We will be in contact with you to offer you a credit to be used when we reopen. If this is not suitable please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org who will be in touch.
This applies both to casual users as well as our Block Bookings.
Please allow our team some time to process all your requests.
I’VE BOOKED A PARTY, WHAT CAN I DO?
We’d love for you to still have your party with us so we’ll look to rebook when we reopen. You will hear from a member of our team to arrange this in due course. We understand this won’t be possible for everyone so if you’d prefer a refund please email your request to email@example.com
I WANT TO STAY ACTIVE – WHAT CAN I DO?
We are working on innovative ways to support you to remain active and will be posting regularly about these in the coming days and weeks. Parks and open spaces are still open at the moment and there are many online resources on YouTube and other platforms.
Follow our Facebook Page if you haven’t already and we will update you on our ways on staying fit whilst isolating.
WHEN WILL YOU BE REOPENING?
We do not yet have a date for reopening. We will be monitoring the Government’s advice and guidance from our local authorities and will keep you posted on this part of the website, social media and email.
I WAS LOOKING TO JOIN THE GYM, CAN I STILL DO THIS FOR WHEN REOPEN?
We have removed the joining function for the moment from our website and will monitor the Government’s announcements before we re-activate it.
COVID-19 – Re-Opening of Chesterton Sports Centre FAQ
CAN YOU PASS COVID-19 FROM SWEAT?
No, there is no current evidence that the virus can be spread by perspiration (sweat).
This is supported for non-respiratory fluids by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https:/www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html however, limited data is available on sweat/perspiration.
IS THE GYM ‘DIRTIER’ THAN A SHOP?
Gyms have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness/hygiene and, as we did prior to closing, we will be putting extra measures in place to make sure that both the staff and customers are safe.
HOW LONG WILL COVID-19 STAY ON EQUIPMENT FOR?
While the COVID-19 virus can stay on certain surfaces for two or three days, the most important thing to know about coronavirus on surfaces is that they can easily be cleaned with common household disinfectants that will kill the virus, which is already common practice in our facility but will be increased post-opening.
Furthermore, any virus picked up by the hands must be transferred to the mouth/eyes/nose for possible infection to occur. Signage and information to customers to avoid hand-to-face contact, frequent hand washing, and the use of anti-viral/bacterial hand gels will further reduce the infection risk.
CAN COVID-19 BE TRANSMITTED IN AREAS WITH HOT AND HUMID CLIMATES?
There is no evidence that COVID-19 is any more transmittable in a hot, humid climate than any other climate. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by maintaining social distancing and frequent hand washing, and the use of anti-viral/bacterial hand gels. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
DO THE ENCLOSED ENVIRONMENTS OF GYMS AND LEISURE FACILITIES CREATE HIGHER RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION THAN OTHER INDOOR PLACES, SUCH AS CLOTHES SHOPS, BARS OR CINEMAS, AND WHY?
No, there is the same chance of getting COVID-19 in all areas indoors, the key is keeping social distancing in place, follow cleanliness guidelines and aerosolisation guidelines.
IS THERE A HIGHER RISK OF AEROSOL TRANSMISSION IN GYMS AND LEISURE FACILITIES THAN IN OTHER INDOOR ENVIRONMENTS, AND WHY?
As long as you follow the aerosolisation guidance there is no evidence to suggest that gyms and leisure facilities are a higher risk than any other setting.
We will also take extra consideration in certain areas of the facility, where high-intensity aerobic activity takes part in a confined space with no windows.
HOW IS COVID-19 TRANSMITTED?
General – The World Health Organisation (WHO) states that the disease spreads primarily from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth, which are expelled when a person with COVID-19 coughs, sneezes, or speaks.
Faeces – The WHO states that while initial investigations suggest the virus may be present in faeces in some cases, to date, there have not been reports of faecal-oral transmission of COVID-19.
CAN COVID-19 BE TRANSMITTED IN THE WATER OF A SWIMMING POOL AND DOES THIS INCREASE THE RISK OF TRANSMISSION? WHAT IS THE RISK IN SWIMMING POOLS?
There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the water of pools.
The risk of transmitting person-to-person remains and all standard guidelines should be adhered to i.e. social distancing while in the pool and surrounding areas.
IS THERE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION IN A STUDIO COMPARED TO THE GYM FLOOR?
As long as social distancing, cleanliness and the aerosolisation guidelines are followed then there is no increased risk.
DO SHARED WATER FOUNTAINS POSE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION?
As long as all touch points are cleaned pre and post use, water fountains are safe.
DO CHANGING ROOMS/TOILETS POSE AN INCREASED RISK OF COVID-19 TRANSMISSION?
As long as you follow social distancing and cleanliness guidelines, there is no increased risk.
IF A PERSON WEARS A MASKS OR GLOVES IN A GYM OR LEISURE FACILITY WILL IT PROTECT THEM FROM COVID-19?
Non-PPE certified masks are not certified to prevent the wearer from contracting COVID-19. They may, however, have some value in preventing the wearer from spreading COVID-19.
Exercising indoors with a face mask may not be appropriate in all cases – a face mask increases the work of breathing which leads to greater ‘respiratory steal’ (oxygen consumption by the respiratory muscles in breathing), and increase the perception of effort (breathing and exercise).
While gloves are useful in some circumstances, in a gym using hand sanitiser and wiping down equipment before and after use is more appropriate.
DOES PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (EXERCISE) INCREASE RESILIENCE TO COVID-19, AND HOW?
WHO recommend regular physical activity benefits both the body and mind. It can reduce high blood pressure, help manage weight and reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and various cancers – all conditions that can increase susceptibility to COVID-19.
Physical activity leads to improvements in immune health and metabolic health, both of which are linked to COVID risk. Furthermore, physical activity is central in weight management and positive changes in body composition, both of which are linked to COVID-19 risk.
DOES AIR CONDITIONING RAISE THE RISK OF TRANSMITTING COVID-19?
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have advised that the risk of air conditioning spreading coronavirus is extremely low.